Bibliophile

A trivial blog of a bookworm

Sunday, June 04, 2006

Visit to Michigan

Flying in United States is really difficult experiences. You need to go through security check like a hell. They frequently pick you up for random security check if you have strange last name. Of course, I am Asian and I was pick up for random security check one time in Los Angeles, one time in Denver and one time in Kalamazoo airport.

However, United States has a lot of differences from Singapore. Singapore is a conservative country although it look modernized city on the surface. You cannot even buy adult video like Philippines. But I found different in United States. Adult Magazine like PlayBoy and PentHouse can be found in stores. I watched HBO documentaries which was about the life of drug-addicted couples in New York City. The languages in that documentaries is really coarse. Of course, drug is a dangerous subject in Singapore and Gay Sex is a crime. So I will never get a chance to see this type of documentaries in Singapore.

I took some photo from my hotel which is just beside I-94 in Battle Creek, Michigan.

Weather is not bad this time around. I felt terrible when I was in Michigan during winter. It was freezing like hell. I could taste the American food better in this time. But I don't really like American breakfast.

People there are friendly too. I will found everyone greet me in breakfast table at hotel although it is the first time ever we met. Waitress in restaurants are really friendly. Some security officers in Airport greet me like "Honey, this is a wrong way". I really like those type of friendliness.

I saw so may six windows limousines in Chicago Ohare which I like it a lot. However, I really had unforgettable experiences in Chicago Ohare International Airport. I took transit flight in Chicago Ohare to Hong Kong and planned to fly back to Singapore from there. The aircraft I was boarded delayed at the gate for nearly one hour as they could not close the cargo door. We were advised to stay on board as it was an international flight and we were already checked out. However, they could not fixed the problem on cargo door. We alight to Ohare airport again. After another hour or so, we were boarded to new aircraft just arrived. However, this aircraft also had some electrical problem on radar and we had to turn back from runway. They took another hour to fix the radar. Finally, we could successfully take off from Ohare after six hours delays.

We arrived in Hong Kong in rush manner. I cancelled my plan to shop at Hong Kong airport. I ran to smoking room to have a few puff of smoke before I boarded the plane to Singapore. I could not find any smoking room in that Chicago airport and so I was really starved for smoking.
Then, I thought everything was fine and I was ready to fly home. But things were not simple as I was expected. They made random security check to passenger at boarding gate. Some passengers felt really angry and they made skeptical comments on security check. (Who the hell would not feel angry after that long and terrible flight delay experiences?). Our flight was delayed again. Airport security personals boarded our plane and search for items those can threat security. We delayed one more hour at Hong Kong airport. I finally arrived in Singapore 5 hours later than expected arrival time.

Anyways, United Airlines sent me US$100 voucher one month later as an apology.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home