Bibliophile

A trivial blog of a bookworm

Wednesday, August 15, 2007

The books that I bought recently

I was in Hanover Hbf train station in Germany at May,2007. It was too early to catch the train and so I was browsing through the book store. The book store at train station sold a lot of German books plus some English bestsellers. I was looking for a book to read on the train and finally I picked up the book of Paulo Coelho, Brazilian writer named "Like the flowing river". It was amazing. All the essay like stories in the book gave me peace of mind and something to think about. All the stories were reflection of author on the experiences that he have countered. There was also something catch my eye on the cover of the book which was "the author of Alchemist". I was really interested in reading "Alchemist" after that.

In June, I was in Battle Creek, Michigan. I stayed in Hampton Inn and there was a shopping mall at a walking distance. Anyway, I am a bookworm. So I browsed through "Barne & Nobles" at that shopping mall. Surprisingly, I found all those classic novels that I want to read in that store. Since I did not want to carry a lot of books with me back to Singapore, I only bought a few books. There were "Metamorphosis" by "Franz Kafka", "The Brothers Karamazov" by "Fyodor Dostoevsky", "The Great American Short Stories" and "The Best of Mystery" chosen by "Alfred Hitchcock". So far, I only started reading "The best of Mystery" and it was a really wonderful book. I planned to read "The Brothers Karamazov" if I get sometimes. I long to read the books of Kafka and Jame Joyce but I was not able to materialize my thought so far.

In July, I was back in Germany again. I browse through the bookstores in Airports but I did not buy anything. Finally, I finished my job in two weeks and ready to fly back to Singapore. As usual, I browse through the book stores in Amsterdam Schipol Airport. I picked up and bought "The tipping point". It was time-killer for me on board 13 hours flight and theory present in that book was reallying interesting.

Last trip I went was to India in first week of August. I was planning to visit to book stores as I heard before that I can get the book with cheaper price in India. I stayed in Hotel 32nd Milestone at Guragon which is in between New Delhi and Haryana. My schedule was tight and I went between hotel and factory everyday. I even don't have time to visit to Taj-Mahal which is not far from there. However, I was lucky enough to find a series of books of Paulo Coelho in the bookstore at hotel. Not surprisingly, I picked "Alchemist" from the bookshelf. I only paid less than 200 rupees(S$8) to get it. I was so absorbed in the book and so I read it whenever I have free time. When I came back to Singapore, I take a leave to study for my final exam but I am able to finish "Alchemist" within study week. :-)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home