Bibliophile

A trivial blog of a bookworm

Wednesday, September 28, 2005

A Portrait of the Chess Player as a Young Man

I had abandoned my chess board for more than 6 years. Of course, I used to play chess on Yahoo sometimes. It was fun for me to play chess in my teenage time. But I am not so much crazy about chess anymore.

At first, I didn't know that the world of chess is so large. I thought it was just a game to guess a few move ahead. Later, I realized that a good chess player need to understand theories of chess very well and also need to construct a beautiful strategies on board. There were evidences. Deep Blue and Deep Thought, super computers which can calculate millions of moves per second cannot beat world chess champion, Garry Kasparov in every game.

However, it is not an easy job for a chess player to sit at chess table for more than 3 hours and concentrate only on chess game. It is really a turf job. Chess players need to be very strong. Garry Kasparov take care of his health very well. He swam around two miles a day, avoided taking Red Meat( like Beef and Pork) and avoided alcohol and tobacco.

I also avoid taking alcohol and tobacco in my teenage time solely because of Chess. I played 2 to 4 hours a day. I spent most of my weekend at Chess Club. I participate in all the tournaments held at my city. I bought so many chess books to study at my free time. I dreamed to become a Grand Master and dreamed to participate in FIDE World Championship tournament. However, I had never become a good chess player. I lost in most of the games I played at tournaments. I made blunders in my moves in every games.

There are three types of faults in chess. First type of fault is call "error" and it is just a theoretical fault and only Grand Masters or very good chess players can notice those type of faults. Second type of fault is called "mistake". Most of the professional chess players can notice mistake. Last type of fault is called "blunder". It is a great mistake that every chess players (even amateur) can notice it. This is just a digression.

I made blunders when I had opportunities over my opponents. So condition of games become reverse and I lost eventually. Finally I took a break from Chess when I lost games in Under-20 new generation chess tournament.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home