Bibliophile

A trivial blog of a bookworm

Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Myanmar Unicode and its problems

I am currently translating phpMyChat software to Myanmar Language with newly released Myanmar1 opentype font from Myanmar Computer Federation. Myanmar Unicode is still in its initial stage. It need a lot of rooms for improvement.

It did not work on Internet Explorer. Although I exactly followed the instructions written on MCF website, their batch program failed when it running on my Windows XP with Service Pack 2. Beside, it did not comply with existing Unicode fonts such as Myazedi, Mandalay and UniBurma. Moreover, I am wondering why people still implement funny characters in Myanmar Unicode. U+1051 to U+1059 never existed in Myanmar Language. So why they waste time to implement it since nobody will use those characters.

I also have problems in character combination. In Myanmar Language, we need to type ေ before the character. But when I type "tha way htoe" before character, it combined with the previous letter. Besides, I saw unwanted "nga that" often when I press backspace.

I hope I can finish my translation of phpMyChat soon. Currently, I am translating tutorial and help files.

5 Comments:

At 2:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

When you encode your font tag, what name did you use?

 
At 9:31 AM, Blogger bibilophile said...

I didn't put any font tag in my php page. But my FireFox Browser can recognize it. When I visit other page coded with other Unicode Font like UniBurma, I can't see it properly. (I can read those page before I install Myanmar1 font.)

 
At 8:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

IF you have no font tags, then how will visitors will decode what font you are using? When there is only one font on your system using UTF 8, that's fine. But when you have multiple fonts, then they system get confused, wouldn't it??

I"m no php expert but don't you need to use urlencode() and urldecode() function calls??

 
At 12:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I believed you've seen it.

http://www.bagan.net.mm/news/new_detail_1.asp?news_no=2834

 
At 8:11 AM, Blogger bibilophile said...

Thanks for your advices.
I will look into that matter.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home